Gran Turismo Sport is a little different from other Gran Turismo games. It features an online Sportsmanship Rating (SR) that decides how good you are at racing. The rating has to do with the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) who GT Sport has partnered with. They are, basically, responsible for all professional racing around the world. They are also the ones who will decide if you are good enough for a real racing license.
Since online racing is the most important, it is critical to become a better driver. However, you must always think of your SR while racing, and not just winning the race. The people you are playing against may not be that great, and may not race as well as you. This means you will need to not only race really well, but also take some other precautions while racing online.
What is Gran Turismo Sport Sportsmanship Rating?
As mentioned briefly above, your Sportsmanship Rating is basically how nice you are while driving. The FIA looks at this rating, and your Driver Rating (DR) to determine how good you are. If both are really good you could win a real racing license and potentiality go on to race real life race cars. Needless to say, your SR is extremely important. Also, the only way to increase your Gran Turismo Sport SR is with online competitive racing in Sport mode.
There are six different types of Sportsmanship Ratings: S, A, B, C, D, and E. Ideally, you want to have an S rating as that is the highest while E would be the lowest. While you are racing you will either see a orange indicator, or a green indicator. If you are a great driver who isn’t slamming into people the light will be green, and your SR will be going up. If you are just slamming into everyone and acting crazy the indicator will be orange, and your SR will be going down. Obviously, you want to stick in the green and increase you SR.
How to Increase your Gran Turismo Sport Sportsmanship Rating?
The three things you want to stay away from to increase your GT Sport SR rating are:
- Hitting other players
- Pushing other cars off the road
- Getting hit by other players
The last point is the trickiest as there isn’t a huge amount you can do to avoid being hit. You may have braked too early, or someone may have braked too late. These situations will result in another car hitting you and both of your ratings going down. There is also the other option where someone is just insane, or doesn’t know how to drive, and hits you on purpose.
You can avoid some of these situations by getting out of the way of faster drivers/cars, or by flashing your lights (L3) at slower drivers telling them you are trying to pass. Gone are the days of seeing someone in your rear view mirror and purposely trying to block them from passing you.
7 Tips to Increase GT Sport SR
Not hitting other players and not being hit sounds easy, but is in fact trickier than you would think. Real life players don’t always follow the correct racing lines, proper braking, or general kind sportsmanship. Sometimes you will need to be a little creative to not only win the race, but to also increase your SR.
These tips come from Reddit user andreisuko who gives a more unconventional style to increasing SR.
So basically, when I started playing Sport mode I suffered from getting bumped, pushed, thrown, wiped, etc just because other players where driving like a Need for Speed game. The SR went down and so did my fun.
Right now I’m at SR A and always blue (always blue, always blue!), and all of my races are really fun because I’m racing with people who have my current mindset of playing good.
- Don’t rush to win, play tight and stay away from the troublemakers, it doesn’t matter if you loose, the most important thing is to farm those sweet SR points.
- Don’t underestimate the predictability of stupidity! (fav quote from Snatch) and this applies 100% to the race. At first I thought that BECAUSE I went first in the curve, all other players should RESPECT my position because that’s fair, right? WRONG! Other players are dicks, especially in ELO HELL. They don’t want you to succeed, so they will crash you, bump you, even if that costs them SR. So always think ahead of that stupidity. If you are entering a deep curve, wait for the maniac to dive in first so the car will understeer coming out of the curve, etc.
- If you get into trouble, the best option is to go off track or just swerve your car so every body can pass you. Think whats best for the race, not you. Right here, the radar and rearview mirror are your friends. Just like when you drive your real car, always check what’s behind and beside you when you turn or brake, same applies here. We are in a Driving Simulator.
- Be patient, it’s a very high chance that the racer in front of you will get nervous, jitter ,or start racing more aggressive and he/she will fail eventually. You need to be ready to take advantage of that mistake.
- Let other racers pass you, it’s better for your SR because it’s more likely that the player behind you will start tailgating you, and when you brake, they will ram you. Sometimes to move forward, you need to take some steps back.
- Driving School medals! Go for gold, they will help you drive better, trust me, the devs did a good job giving us tools to play this game and have fun.
- Know when to quit. It is very important to take a few minutes off the game so you can clear your mind. Especially if you are getting frustrated for losing SR points. Always remember to take a break.
Finally, the most important thing to remember is all these tips apply to every single race you do! You can’t get mad at someone and decide to slam them off the road, for example. Each race is counted and each race you must watch your SR. However, hopefully these tips help you increase your SR and become a better driver. Leave a comment below if you have any other tips!